A woman with sole
A saucy young woman I know has a knack for asking questions that cause me to Â Â pause and think. The cheeky womanâ€™s name is Amanda.
Amanda was my daughterâ€™s college roommate, and quickly
became a part of our extended family. I will credit/blame her for teaching my daughter how to dance with furniture when there was a rare man-shortage, how to dress seductively, and how to vomit gracefully in the toilet after a night out.Â Â Amanda also taught her how to laughâ€”a lotâ€”at the little things in life. And, I must add, named a cow after both my daughter and me. Yep, there was a â€œGailâ€ the cow on Amandaâ€™s family farm, and I couldnâ€™t have been prouder.
Yesterday was my birthday and Amanda sent me a thoughtful email with the following three questions attached:
- Â What are you proudest of in the last year?
- Â What are you happy to release from the last year?
- Â What you are most looking forward to in the year ahead?
What a great gift! Iâ€™m a believer in taking stock of life, and of setting goals. In the giddy joy of a birthday celebration it was rather refreshing to step back and to consider her questions.
So, here are my responses:
- I am proudest of inhaling a huge gulp of air and then leaping into the unknown world of being self-employed. I know what I want, and I am working towards my goals one small step at a time. It is scary, exciting, bewildering, and freeing all mixed into one fragrant potpourri oâ€™life.
- Iâ€™m happiest to release the fear that my husband would not support my new venture. Heâ€™s at my side through the good and bad times, just as he promised he would be. How lucky am I?
- The quick answer is a lot of things. Iâ€™m looking forward to a â€œbucket listâ€ trip we will be taking soon. I’m also looking forward to, in no particular order:
â€“Selling my scarves, greeting cards, and photography at art fairs and online.
â€“Finishing my book on women and midlife creativity, and shopping for a publisher.
â€“Helping my daughter and son-in-law with projects now that they are living closer to us.
â€“Continuing this crazy-good romance I have going with my husband.
â€“Trying new things that cause me to breathe hard and mutter, â€œMore!â€
How about you? How would you respond to those three questions? Please share! Thanks, Amanda. It was, as always, a lovely gift from a lovely soul.